The role of bipo4 (BiPO4) introduced through the gas phase in the process of creating thin films on the surface of InP
Purpose.The purpose of this work was to establish the infl uence of bismuth phosphate introduced through the gas phase on the InP thermal oxidation process and the determination of the composition of the formed fi lms.
Methods and Methodology.Oxidation was performed on (100)-oriented polished single-crystal indium phosphide wafers (with a concentration of main charge carriers at 300 K of at least 5×1016 cm–3 and intrinsic n-type conductivity). The oxidation of InP was conducted at 475, 500, 530, and 550 °С in 30 L/h oxygen for 10–60 min using postoxidation. The thickness of the formed oxide fi lms was determined by laser ellipsometry (l = 632.8 nm) with an absolute error of ±1 nm.
Results.The accelerating effect of bismuth phosphate on the process of fi lm formation was established. The magnitude of the acceleration is from 1.5 to 2 times and the maximum fi lm growth is achieved in the fi rst 10 min of oxidation. The transit mechanism of action of BiPO4 was established. The determining process is the formation of indium phosphate due to the secondary interaction of the oxide forms of the components of the substrate. The limiting stage is the diffusion of oxides in the solid phase, as evidenced by the values of n (0.22) and EEA
(188 kJ/mol). The authors established a decrease in the EEA compared with the process of InP’s own thermal oxidation, which provides the accelerated formation of a fi lm on the surface of a semiconductor with chemostimulated thermal oxidation. IR spectroscopy, EPXMA, and X-ray
phase analysis were used to study of fi lms on the surface of InP. The main components of the fi lms on the InP surface are indium oxide and indium phosphates of different composition. With an increase in temperature and oxidation time, the content of indium oxide in fi lms decreases,
and the variety and amount of indium phosphates increases.
Conclusions.This indicates the transformation of some phases to others during solid phase transformations and corresponds to the сonsumption of indium oxide during secondary processes in the fi lm without a signifi cant increase in its thickness. Bismuth phosphate plays the role of a chemostimulator of the thermal oxidation process of InP and may be a modifi er of the composition, and hence the properties of fi lms on its surface.
- Wager J. F., Wilmsen C. W. Thermal oxidation of InP. Appl. Phys., 1980, v. 51(1), pp. 812–814. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.327302
- Yamaguchi M., Ando K. Thermal oxidation of InP and properties of oxide fi lm. Appl. Phys., 1980, v. 5(9), pp. 5007–5012. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3283803. Mittova I. Ya., Borzakova G. V., Terekhov V. A., Mittov O. N, Pshestanchik V. R., Kashkarov V. M. Growth of own oxide layers on indium phosphide. Izvestija AN SSSR. Serija Neorganicheskie Materialy [News of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. Series Inorganic Materials], 1991, v. 27(10), pp. 2047–2051. (in Russ.)
- Mittova I. Ya., Borzakova G. V., Terekhov V. A., Mittov O. N, Pshestanchik V. R., Kashkarov V. M. Growth of own oxide layers on indium phosphide. Izvestija AN SSSR. Serija Neorganicheskie Materialy [News of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. Series Inorganic Materials], 1991, v. 27(10), pp. 2047–2051. (in Russ.)
- Minaychev V. Ye. Naneseniye plonok v vakuume. [Film deposition in vacuum]. Moscow, Vyssh. Shkola Publ., 1989, 130 p. (in Russ.)
- Nikitin M. M. Tekhnologiya i oborudovaniye vakuumnogo napyleniya [Technology and equipment for vacuum deposition]. Moscow, Metallurgiya Publ., 1992, 112 p. (in Russ.)
- Veselov A. A., Veselov A. G., Vysotsky S. L., Dzhumaliyev A. S., Filimonov Yu. A. Magnetic properties of thermally deposited Fe/GaAs (100) thin fi lms. J Technical Physics, 2002, v. 47(8), pp. 1067–1070. https://doi.org/10.1134/1.1501694
- Danilin B. S. Magnetronnyye raspylitel’nyye sistemy [Magnetron Spray Systems]. Moscow, Radio i svyaz’ Publ., 1982, 72 p.
- Pulver D., Wilmsen C.W. Thermal oxides of In0.5Ga0.5P and In0.5Al0.5P. Vac. Sci. Technol. B., 2001, v. 19(1), pp. 207–214. https://doi.org/10.1116/1.1342008
- Punkkinen M. P. J., Laukkanen P., Lеng J., Kuzmin M., Tuominen M., Tuominen V., Dahl J., Pessa M., Guina M., Kokko K., Sadowski J., Johansson B., Väyrynen I. J., Vitos L. Oxidized In-containing III–V(100) surfaces: Formation of crystalline oxide fi lms and semiconductor-oxide interfaces. Physical review, 2011, v. 83(19), pp. 195–329. https://doi/org/10.1103/Phys-RevB.83.195329
- Sladkopevtsev B. V., Tomina E. V., Mittova I. Ya., Dontsov A. I., Pelipenko D. I. On the thermal oxidation of VxOy–InP heterostructures formed by the centrifugation of vanadium (V) oxide gel. Journal of Surface Investigation. X-ray, Synchrotron and Neutron Techniques, 2016, v. 10(2), pp. 335–340. https://doi.org/10.1134/S102745101602018X
- Ningyi Y. Comparison of VO2 thin fi lms prepared by inorganic sol-gel and IBED methods. Appl. Phys. A., 2003, v. 78. pp. 777–780. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00339-002-2057-5
- Herman M. A., Sitter H. Epitaxy: Fundamentals and Current Status. Heidelberg, Springer Science & Business Media, 2013, 382 p.
- Manijeh R. The MOCVD Challenge: A survey of GaInAsP–InP and GaInAsP–GaAs for photonic and electronic device applications. Boca Raton, CRC Press, 2010, 799 p. https://doi.org/10.1201/9781439807002
- Mittova Ya. Multichannel reactions in chemostimulated oxidation of semiconductors – transit, conjugation, catalysis. Vestnik VGU. Serija: Himija, biologija [Bulletin of the VSU. Series: Chemistry, Biology], 2000, 2, pp. 5–12. (in Russ.)
- Mittova Ya. Infl uence of the physicochemical nature of chemical stimulators and the way they are introduced into a system on the mechanism of the thermal oxidation of GaAs and InP. Inorganic Materials, 2014, V. 50(9), pp. 874–881. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0020168514090088.
- Brauer G. A. Rukovodstvo po neorganicheskomu sintezu [Inorganic Synthesis Guide]. Moscow, Khimiya Publ., 1985, 360 с. (in Russ.)
- Nakamoto K. Infared and Raman Spectra of Inorganic and Coordination Compounds. New York, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, 1986, 335 p.
- Atlas IK-spektrov fosfatov [Atlas IR spectra of phosphates]. by R.YA. Mel’nikovoy. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1985, 235 p. (in Russ.)
- Brandon D., Kaplan W. Microstructural Characterization of Materials. 2nd Edition, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, 2008, 536 p. https://doi.org/10.1002/9780470727133
- International Center for Diffraction Data. 21. X-ray diffraction date cards, ASTM.
- X-ray diffraction date cards, ASTM.
- Kazenas B.K. Termodinamika ispareniya dvoynykh oksidov. [Thermodynamics of double oxide evaporation]. Мoscow, Nauka Publ., 2004, 551 p. (in Russ.)