Microwave synthesis of yttrium orthoferrite doped with nickel
Purpose. Nanocrystals, thin fi lms, heterostructures based on nanoscale doped yttrium ferrite are promising AS functional magnetic materials. Solid-phase synthesis of ferrite-based materials requires prolonged heating to temperatures of up to 1500 °C, which signifi cantly increases energy costs. It is a pressing challenge to synthesize multifunctional nanomaterials based on yttrium ferrite using simple and low-cost methods. The purpose of this work was toe synthesise nanopowders of undoped and nickel-doped YFeO3 under the influence of microwave radiation.
Methods and methodology. Microwave radiation stimulates decomposition of salt precursors, dehydration and synthesis of yttrium ferrite due to homogeneity and high speed of microwave heating and acceleration of the processes of the “nucleation” under the infl uence of “nonthermal” effects. It was established by the XRD method that the synthesis carried out at pH = 7, the impurity content in undoped YFeO3 does not exceed 3 %, and 4 % in NiхY1-хFeO3 samples.
Results. The presence of nickel in the doped samples of NiхY(1-x)FeO3 (EPXMA data) in the absence of nickel-containing phases on diffraction patterns indicates the incorporation of Ni2+ ions into the crystal lattice of yttrium ferrite, presumably in the Y3+ position. This is confi rmed by the shift of the most intense YFeO3 refl ection on the diffractograms of NixY(1-x)FeO3 nanopowders to a smaller angle 2q and a decrease in the unit cell volume of doped yttrium ferrite samples with an increase in nickel doping from 0.05 to 0.15. The size of the coherent scattering regions of the synthesized YFeO3 and NiхY1–хFeO3 samples is in the range of 200–300 nm.
Conclusions. Activation of the synthesis of yttrium ferrite by microwave radiation signifi cantly increases the speed of the process, lowers the annealing temperature, and ensures high chemical homogeneity of the samples.
- Popkov V. I., Almjasheva O. V. Yttrium orthoferrite YFeO3 nanopowders formation under glycine-nitrate combustion conditions. Russian Journal of Applied Chemistry, 2014, v. 87(2), pp. 167-171. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1070427214020074
- Letyuk L. M., Kostishin V. G., Gonchar A. V. Tekhnologiya ferritovykh materialov magnitoelektroniki [Technology of ferrite materials of magnetoelectronics]. Moscow, MISiS Publ., 2005, 352 p. (in Russ.)
- Petrova E., Kotsikau D., Pankov V. Structural characterization and magnetic properties of sol–gel derived ZnxFe3-xO4Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 2015, v. 378, pp, 429–435. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmmm.2014.11.076
- Mittova I. Ya., Tomina E. V., Lavrushina S. S. Nanomaterialy: sintez nanokristallicheskikh poroshkov i poluchenie kompaktnykh nanokristallicheskikh materialov: uchebnoe posobie dlya vuzov [Nanomaterials: the synthesis of nanocrystalline powders and the production of compact nanocrystalline materials: a textbook for universities]. Voronezh, LOP VGU Publ., 2007, 35 p. (in Russ.)
- Brandon D., Kaplan W. Microstructural Characterization of Materials. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons Ltd, 1999, 424 p.
- Tretyakov Yu. D. Development of inorganic chemistry as a fundamental for the design of new generations of functional materials. Russian Chemical Reviews, 2004, v. 73(9), pp. 831–846. https://doi.org/10.1070/RC2004v073n09ABEH000914
- Tomina E. V., Mittova I. Ya., Burtseva N. A., Patent RF, N 2548089, 2015.
- Kuznetsova V. A., Almjasheva O. V., Gusarov V. V. Infl uence of microwave and ultrasonic treatment on the formation of CoFe2O4 under hydrothermal conditions. Glass Physics and Chemistry, 2009, v. 35(2), pp. 205–209.
- International Center for Diffraction Data.
- Shpanchenko R. V., Rozova M. G. Metodicheskaya razrabotka dlya spetspraktikuma k kursu lektsii «Prakticheskie aspekty rentgenovskoi difraktometrii» [Methodical development for the special practical course for lectures “Practical aspects of X-ray diffractometry”]. Moscow, Izd-vo Mosk. un-ta Publ., 1998, 25 p. (in Russ.)
- Tret’yakov Yu. D. Neorganicheskaya khimiya. Khimiya elementov: uchebnik dlya stud. vuzov, obuch. po napravleniyu 510500 “Khimiya” i spetsial’nosti 011000 “Khimiya” : v 2 t [Inorganic chemistry. Chemistry of elements: a textbook for students. universities enrolled in the direction 510500 “Chemistry” and specialization 011000 “Chemistry”: in 2 volumes]. Moscow, Izd-vo Mosk. un-ta: Akademkniga Publ., 2007, v. 1, 538 p.; v. 2, 670 p. (in Russ.)
- Tomina E. V., Darinskii B. M., Mittova I. Ya., Churkin V. D., Boikov N. I., Ivanova O. V. Sintez nanokristallov YСоxFe1-xO3 pod vozdeistviem mikrovolnovogo izlucheniya [Synthesis of YСоxFe1-xO3 Nanocrystals Under the Microwave Radiation], Inorganic Materials, v. 55(4), 2019, pp. 421–425. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0002337X19040158 (in Russ.)