The Effect of Certain Complex Chemostimulators and Modifi ers on InP Thermal Oxidation
It is advisable to control characteristics and rate of formation of nanoscale fi lms on InP by introducing chemostimulators, modifi ers, or both simultaneously during the thermal oxidation of semiconductors. The chemostimulating effect of the compounds is determined by their transit role as oxygen transmitters or their catalytic function. Modifi ers can affect the composition, surface morphology, structure, and properties of the fi lm without changing the fi lm growth rate. The effect of chemostimulators and modifi ers on a single process of fi lm synthesis with the desired properties was assumed to be
productive. Purpose: Establishment of the effect of certain complex chemostimulators and modifi ers on the kinetics, growth mechanism, and properties of complex oxide fi lms on InP in the nanoscale thickness range. The object of the study was indium phosphide FIE-1A orientation (100). SnO2/InP and (40 % Co3O4+60 % MnO2)/InP heterostructures with a layer thickness of ~ 30 nm were formed by magnetron sputtering. Sulphate was deposited through the aerosol phase, followed by air drying and annealing at 200 °C for 30 min for the formation of the Bi2(SO4)3/InP heterostructures. SnO2/InP and InP samples were thermally oxidized under the infl uence of AlPO4 and Bi2(SO4)3, respectively, introduced into the gas phase in the temperature range 490-570 °C in an oxygen stream for 60 min. The thickness of the
fi lms was controlled by laser and spectral ellipsometry and their phase and elemental composition were established by XRD and Auger electron spectroscopy, respectively. For the determination of the electrophysical properties of the films, the contacts were sprayed with aluminium and the resistivity was determined. The fundamental role of the physicochemical nature of the chemostimulator, its ability to transit interactions and the renewability of oxide forms in the process of InP thermal oxidation was established. The introduction of phosphate groups from AlPO4 into thermal oxide fi lms, with or without the deposition of SnO2 on the surface, led to the fi lm resistance similar to that for the oxidation of SnO2/InP heterostructures without the additional introduction of phosphates and was 8.5·107 Ohm·cm. Bi2(SO4)3, being a modifi er of the composition and properties of the fi lms, did not have a signifi cant
chemostimulating effect. Films grown under its infl uence had a semiconductor characteristics (r ~ 106 Ohm·cm). The most effective was a 40 % Co3O4+ 60 % MnO2 complex chemostimulator, which determined the accelerated (up to 70 %) formation of fi lm by the catalytic-transit mechanism (up to 70 %), being a part of the synthesized fi lms and capable of purposefully modifying their properties by varying the content of components in it (XRD, SE).
1. Lutz J., Schlangenotto H., Scheuermann U., De Doncker R. Semiconductor Power Devices. Physics,
Characteristics, Reliability. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg; 2018. 714 р. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-70917-8
2. Mikhailova M. P., Moiseev K. D., Yakovlev Y. P. Discovery of III–V semiconductors: Physical properties
and application semiconductors. Semiconductors. 2019;53(3): 273–290. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1134/S1063782619030126
3. Sychikova Ya. A. Nanorazmernye struktury na poverhnosti fosfi da indiya [Nanoscale structures on the
surface of indium phosphide]. LAP Lambert Academic Publishing; 2014. 127 p. (In Russ.)
4. Chistokhin I. B., Zhuravlev K. S. SVCHfotodetektory dlya analogovoi optovolokonnoi svyazi
[Microwave photodetectors for analog fiber optic communications]. Uspekhi prikladnoj fi ziki. [Advances
in Applied Physics]. 2015;3(1): 85–94. Available at: https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=22968188 (In Russ.)
5. Arbiol J., Xiong Q. Semiconductor Nanowires: Materials, Synthesis, Characterization and Applications.
Elsevier Ltd; 2015. 554 p.
6. Eichler H. J., Eichler J., Lux O. Semiconductor lasers. In: Lasers. Springer Series in Optical Sciences.
Vol. 220. Springer, Cham.; 2018. p. 165–203. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-99895-4_10
7. Kabanov V. F., Pereverzev Y. E., Hassoon O. A., Glukhovskoy E. G. Study properties of monolayers with
quantum dots of semiconductors A2B6 and A3B5. Materials Today: Proceedings. 2018;5(5): 13735–13738.
8. Nikolaev Yu. A., Rud’ Yu.V., Terukov E. I., Rud’ V. Yu. Photosensitivity of heterojunctions obtained
using thermal oxidation of indium phosphide. Technical Physics Letters. 2007;33(4): 313–315. DOI:
9. Punkkinen M. P. J., Laukkanen P., Lеng J., Kuzmin M., Tuominen M., Tuominen V., Dahl J.,
Pessa M., Guina M., Kokko K., Sadowski J., Johansson B., Väyrynen I. J., Vitos L. Oxidized In-containing III–
V(100) surfaces: formation of crystalline oxide films and semiconductor-oxide interfaces. Physical Review
B. 2011;83: 195329. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.83.195329
10. Nelson A., Geib K., Wilmsen W. C. Composition and structure of thermal oxides of indium phosphide.
Journal of Applied Physics. 1983; 54(7): 4134–4140. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1063/1.332547
11. Tomina E. V., Mittova I. Ya., Sladkopevtsev B. V., Kostryukov V. F., Samsonov A. A., Tretyakov N. N.
Thermal oxidation as a method of formation of nanoscale functional fi lms on AIIIBV semiconductors:
infl uence of deposited oxide metal layers. Overview. Kondensirovannye sredy i mezhfaznye granitsy =Condensed Matter and Interphases. 2018; 20(2): 184–203. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17308/kcmf.2018.20/472
(In Russ., abstract in Eng.)
12. Mittova I. Ya. Infl uence of physical-chemical nature of chemostimulator, method and method of its
introduction into system on mechanism of thermal oxidation of GaAs and InP. Inorganic Materials.
2014;50(9): 874–881. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1134/S0020168514090088
13. Sladkopevtcev B. V., Lapenko A. A., Samsonov A. A., Tomina E. V., Mittova I. Ya. Transit and
catalitic oxidation of semiconductors AIIIBV with deposited nanoscale layers of cobalt and vanadium
oxides of different thicknesses. Kondensirovannye sredy i mezhfaznye granitsy = Condensed Matter and
Interphases. 2010;12(3): 268–275. Available at: https://journals.vsu.ru/kcmf/article/view/1124/1206 (In
14. Mittova I. Ya., Sladkopevtsev B. V., Samsonov A. A., Tomina E. V., Andreenko S. Y., Kostenko P.
V. Growth and properties of nanofi lms produced by the thermal oxidation of MnO2/InP under the effect of
Mn3(PO4)2. Inorganic Materials. 2019;55(9): 915–919. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1134/S0020168519090073
15. Tretiakov N. N., Mittova I. Ya., Sladkopevtsev B. V., Samsonov A. A., Andreenko S. U. Effect of
magnetron sprayed layer of MnO2 on InP thermal oxidation kinetics, composition and morphology of
synthesized fi lms. Inorganic Materials. 2017;53(1): 6 5 – 7 1 . DOI : https://doi.org/10.1134/S0020168517010174
16. Mittova I. Ya., Kostryukov V. F., Ilyasova N. A., Sladkopevtsev B. V., Samsonov A. A. Modifi cation of
nanoscale thermal oxide films formed on indium phosphide under the influence of tin dioxide.
Nanosystems: Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics. 2020;11(1): 110–116. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17586/2220-8054-2020-11-1-110-116
17. Tretyakov Yu. D. Neorganicheskaya himiya [Inorganic Chemistry]. Moscow: Academy, 2007, 352 p.
18. Mittova I. Ya., Lavrushina S. S., Pinyaeva O. A., Lopatin S. I., Tibilova E. K. GaAs thermal oxidation in
the presence of titanyl sulfate. Russian Journal of Inorganic Chemistry. 2005;50(5): 685–688.
19. Atlas IK spektrov ortofosfatov [Atlas of IR spectrums of ortho-phosphates]. Moscow: Nauka
Publ.; 1985. 235 p. (In Russ.)
20. Hollinger G., Hughes G., Himpsel F. J., Jordan J. L., Morar J. F. Early stages in the formation
of the oxide-InP (100) interface. Surface Science. 1986;168: 617–625. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0039-6028(86)90892-7
21. Wilmsen C. W., Kee R. W. The improvement of grown oxides for the surface protection of AIIIBV
compounds. Thin Solid Films. 1978;51(1): 93–98. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0040-6090(78)90217-1
22. Kostryukov V. F. , Mittova I. Ya. , Sladkopevtsev B. V., Parshina A. S., Balasheva D. S. The
role of BiPO4 introduced through the gas phase in the process of creating thin fi lms on the surface of InP.
Kondensirovannye sredy i mezhfaznye granitsy = Condensed Matter and Interphases. 2019;21(2): 215–
224. Available at: https://journals.vsu.ru/kcmf/article/view/759 DOI:https://doi.org/10.17308/kcmf.2019.21/759 (In Russ., abstract in Eng.)
Copyright (c) 2020 Kondensirovannye sredy i mezhfaznye granitsy = Condensed Matter and Interphases
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.